Sunday, March 1, 2009

That Light is God

Vern left today to move to Chicago. In many ways this really sucks because I miss him a lot already, but I know that this could be a really rad opportunity for him and he was really tired of being in Texas and we couldn't keep him caged here forever. If you've never had the chance to really get to know Vern, then you are missing out. It's been so amazing getting to know him over these past few months that we've lived together at Tolstoy House. Under his tough punk rock exterior is really an amazing man. I cannot begin to explain how I've been blessed by our endless conversations about everything from music, to God, to books and many other pointless, yet important things between. I can only selfishly hope that things don't work out for Vern in Chicago so that he can come back home, but I can also hope that my friend finds a little more of what he is looking for. I couldn't even tell him these things today before he left because I was crying and the few words that I did utter seemed to not convey all the things I wanted to say. Even now these words seem to fail. For now I can only wait until that day when we will be able to drink a pint together at "The Winchester" and perhaps then I can be more honest about what I feel. Why do we not realize what we have until it is gone? True friendship is rare for me and it seems to come and go at a whim, so I need to learn to seize what I have before it's gone. Well, I guess I just want anyone who reads this to know that Vern is an amazing man and you would all be better people for being his friend.

Now Vern, if you are reading this, always remember, "don't let the bastards get you down."

I hope we can all cherish more deeply the relationships God has given us. None of us has to do this alone.....aw, fuck it dude, let's go bowling.

1 comment:

  1. aww. now i have to continue to miss him until they come through town on tour.

    ReplyDelete